Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Netherlands - My Original Stamppot

When you are in Rome, you do what the Romans do. When you are in the Netherlands, you do what the Dutch do, and that is to make stamppot. I had my first stampott during the orientation week AID in Wageningen, and my second one made by my awesome Dutch friends. 

Not a while ago I introduced this blog to my head of programme, and he said "I haven't seen any post with stampott". And yeah, actually, I couldn't figure out why I missed this critical component of living in the Netherlands! 

I did some research on stamppot recipe, and it seems like there are no fixed rules for making stampott. Basically, you need mashed potatoes and you figure out the rest of the content by yourself. Oh, and don't mash it too much; it has to be somewhat a little chunky. 

So here is the first stamppot that I've ever made! And being a little curious and rebellious in the kitchen, I made up my own recipe. Here goes stamppot with bacon, black truffle, spring onions and grated parmesan cheese!


Recipe for this? Hmm let me remember. For about this much of potatoes I used about 2 teaspoons of black truffle sauce, 1 slice of bacon, 1 stalk of spring onion (without the white parts because I can't stand the astringent flavor of the white parts), and 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese. Ahh and since I ran out of butter I replaced it with margarine mixed with mayonaise. about 50-50, in total of 1 tablespoon. Mix them together and voila!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)