Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Turkey - Testi Kebab (Pottery Kebab)

I became familiarized with Turkish food ever since I started living in the Netherlands. I love kebab, although I don't know if it should taste like it does because I think although Indonesian food is common in the Netherlands, there are still some differences in taste and appearance from the ones I have in Indonesia.

My motto is always "when travelling, try eating what the locals eat". I was tempted to order a normal kebab in a restaurant in Cappadocia, Turkey, but something else caught my attention on the menu card: testi kebab.



I've always thought that kebab is just cut meat from skewers, but apparently you can also have the meat in a pot with flame burning around it. The white powder below the pot seemed to be salt, but I didn't taste it. After further research, it seems that testi kebab is typical from Central Anatolia. That means I was in the right place to try it!



Testi kebab is more like a stew, and it's served with rice. It's very tasty. I wouldn't say that it's spicy, but that could be because I have high tolerance for spiciness.

The price? Not too bad for a restaurant near a touristic site. 22 Turkish Lira is equivalent to about 10 USD, or 7.5 Euros. In the Netherlands, nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice) probably cost that much.

1 comments:

  1. I visited turkey about 3 years ago and we had this the last night at our hotel. It was the best dish I had over there and all the food was good. I want to make it but I can't find how to get one of those pots to Chicago .

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)