Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bye Bye Bye, Forest

Today was the last day of internship. I'd say I will miss living without a TV, newspaper, internet and phone service. I'm serious. Okay, I did get some phone service in the kitchen and sometimes in my room. I did get unreliable internet service at the lab and at home (but it's always gone whenever it rained because it was a wireless connection). But seriously, no TV and no newspaper. We had some old magazines from like.. 2005 at our house. That's about it.

Work was tiring in the morning - it was hot, and physical work was not really my forte. Mowing the grass, weed eating... picking tomatoes, blueberries, blackberries... No. Not my thing at all. But I do gain some field knowledge from those days, like pruning tomato and apple trees and such.

Dinner was always my joy. It's a pain to think of what to eat. The closest restaurant was like 20 minutes away and rather than driving I'd rather cook at home. Thankfully, we often got lots and lots of tomatoes from the field, and they're really good and sweet!

I think during the past 11 weeks I ate a lot of tomatoes. I normally make tomato sauce by crushing the tomatoes and cooking them under low heat for at least 30 minutes on the stove. When there were some peppers from the field, I'd normally put those in too. There was one time we got onions. I cooked them with the tomato sauce. Yum~


Freshly made tomato sauce with broccoli, cauliflowers, carrots, yummy orange peppers, green pepper and meatballs, seasoned with dried basil, parsley and thyme.

Dixon Springs. Shawnee Forest. I'll miss them :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)