Thursday, September 1, 2011

Instant Noodles: around the world 2

More instant noodles, because I love them even though I'm aware that they contain lots of MSG and the noodles are most often deep-fried than hot air-dried because it's cheaper to fry them.

As I mentioned in part 1 of the post, I like Shin Ramyun (Korean spicy noodle soup), but dislike the fact that it's packaged for 2 servings.


Inside the package is dried condiment (which you're supposed to cook along with the noodle) and soup base powder.


Aside from a noodle bowl, I rarely see any other instant noodles that are shaped round. Normally the noodles are shaped square/rectangle-ish. I have no idea how they make the noodle round, but I know (and have seen it directly) how they form the square/rectangle form.


I like chewy noodles, so I always cook instant noodles at least 30 seconds earlier than instructed on the package. As you eat the noodle in the soup, it's going to expand and soften. By the time I transfer the noodles into a bowl, it will be perfect to eat.

One time back in junior high school, I was traumatized by a very "health-conscious" (yes, I don't think it's the right term but I don't know how else I would describe her) camping mate. So basically she thinks everything has to be cooked well. She cooked it for 10 minutes, and when she told everyone to eat (I was already complaining to her by the time it reaches 3 minutes - the average cooking time for most instant noodles), the noodles were all soggy and soft and disgusting. On top of that, she added way too much water that the soup is tasteless.

I can understand the point, but when the water is boiling and the noodle is cooked, it should be fine to consume. It's actually fine to even consume instant noodles raw because technically the water activity is low enough to prevent microbial growth on the noodles, and that's why it's shelf stable.

Oh, and I'm also the type of person who adds egg into soup-based instant noodle. Yum. And there are several techniques to adding the egg. No, I'm serious. Do it wrongly and you have a cloudy, unappetizing looking soup that tastes weird, or curds of egg whites floating on the soup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)