Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shokuyoku no Fuyu

Shokuyoku no aki - a season of hearty appetites in fall season. Well I can't say it's fall right now. It's entering winter. So I'll call my phenomenon "shokuyoku no fuyu" since I'm becoming a real glutton in the cold winter.

It's midnight and I was hungry. I ate all the freebie cereal bars at home, so I had no choice but to cook something. I made shrimp alfredo linguine for lunch, and I guess I made too much sauce. So I decided to make a gratin.

At first I didn't know what gratin was. Thanks to the power of Google, I found out that it's a dish with some grated crust on it.

So I boiled tri-color rotini, put them on a pyrex pan, poured out the left over white sauce, sprinkled the dish with TONS of grated parmesan, and baked it using a toaster oven.




I call this this les crevettes au gratin. You know what? I'm not sure if I got them right but I Google (again!!) translated shrimp and les crevettes came out. And of course, au gratin  must have mean "with gratin" or something similar to that since I saw it on many restaurant menus. I mean, there's au jus as well, so I figure that au must have similar meaning to ala. No?

In any case I'm sorry if I got the French phrase wrong. But I really think putting a French name for your Western-style dish just sounds cooler somehow. After all, we love something that sounds complicated, don't we? *wink wink*

Bon apetit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)