Monday, April 22, 2013

Instant Noodle Around the World 16 - MAMA Pad Kee Mao

I often laugh at the level of spiciness in Europe. What people say "spicy" is either mildly spicy or not spicy at all to the point that I cannot detect the slightest taste of spiciness. Well, in English, the word "spicy" means "with spices", and this means when non-hot ingredients like turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon are added into the dish, they will still call it "spicy". In Indonesian, "spicy" means the heat coming from chili peppers that make you cry for forgiveness. Some mothers even use chili peppers to punish their children when they misbehave or when they talk back rudely (ouch). My mom never did that to us, though. I just heard stories from my friends. With the crazy price hike of chili peppers in Indonesia, I wonder if people still do that.

But anyways, after not having real hot, spicy food for a long time, this instant noodle almost killed my tongue.



The noodle was ordinary, and the chili flakes and the dehydrated vegetables were ordinary. But the green chili paste is definitely out of the ordinary.



The noodle looked harmless: there's no trace of chili flakes or redness in it.


But once you put it in your mouth... wow. Even I admit this is very spicy, and I normally have a high tolerance level for spiciness.

My Thai friend said that this noodle is for curing drunk people. I assume that with this level of spiciness, even those who lost their mind will be back to the real world. It's a little horrifying indeed.

Well, conclusion? The little devil inside me feels like testing it out on my friend if he/she ever gets drunk next time (and if I have this noodle with me).



...nah, just kidding ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)