Monday, May 2, 2011

Finishing Up

I have to clear out all my food stocks before I graduate. Hhh.... I have so much leftover glutinous rice from my soy snack extrusion research project. 

Last Friday I attempted to make lo mai kai but I forgot that last week my fridge refused to cool my stuffs because of ice formation in the freezer, so I had no meat to work with. But I still have some Chinese sausages and dried shiitake mushrooms - they never go bad easily.



Ingredients:
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 pork sausage, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cloves shallots, minced
- 4 dried mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt

Steps:
1) Soak glutinous rice overnight (the water must completely cover the rice).
2) Drain the water from glutinous rice and steam for 40 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, sautee pork sausage, garlic, shallot and mushroom for about 3-5 minutes.
4) Take the glutinous rice out of the steamer. Add oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, white pepper, sugar and salt into the steamed glutinous rice, and mix well. Note that at this point the glutinous rice should be a little hard because it will be steamed again. And as usual, the seasoning measurements are very flexible. Please adjust according to your taste :)
5) Mix sauteed ingredients from step 3 into the glutinous rice, and pack them into small bowls (or big bowl - depending on the way you want to serve the lo mai kai). Press it down the bowl so the glutinous rice is well-packed.
6) Steam the bowls for another 20 minutes.

These can be micowaved too, so it's okay to prepare them in advance :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)