Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Denmark - Copenhagen (København)

My first visit to Copenhagen was actually early last month, when my friend from Ireland came over to visit me during the weekend. However, last week I ended up in Copenhagen again because it's so close to where I am living right now (35 minutes by train).



We took a train from Lund directly to Copenhagen central station (København H). It's a good thing that we can buy the duo-family ticket in both Lund and Copenhagen. It saves you 20% of the ticket price. Also, buying a return ticket is definitely cheaper as well. Choose this option if you plan to return on the same day :)

Copenhagen central station was relatively big (still smaller compared to Stockholm central station), with various shops inside the train station. One of my favourite shop was 7-Eleven, and I'm going to write a separate post on that.



Across the station is Tivoli, a famous amusement park in Copenhagen. We took a Hop-On-Hop-Off bus that cost 25 euros, and according to the audio guide, this park was built to calm down social unrest because people would be happier when there was entertainment.


We also had the opportunity to visit the Little Mermaid, which was a little bit far when reached on foot from the city centre. Indeed, it is based on the original story of the Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen, which was adjusted to make it less tragic by Disney.




The Little Mermaid statue is indeed... little. I was expecting something more grand, but with so many tourists crowding around the statue trying to take pictures, I couldn't help but to feel that this attraction is somewhat overrated. However, if you're in Copenhagen and you have time, by all means please visit the statue. After all, seeing the real thing and hearing things from people (that the statue is small) gives you a different kind of feeling (and satisfaction). And in the end, I'm not too disappointed by it :)

We also explored the city centre. Sadly, the shops are closed on Sunday and my first visit there was on Sunday. There were just way too many shops to explore, and within the same city centre, there were 5 big H&Ms.



But at least, the souvenir shops are open on Sunday, some until 6 PM, some until 7 PM. They are famous for the Vikings, so you'll see tons of Viking-related souvenirs there.



We also explored Nyhavn (which literally translates as "new harbour"). The street is filled with rows of bars and pubs where you can chill and enjoy the view of boats and the beautiful canal. Nyhavn is somewhat comparable to Amsterdam, but I personally like the atmosphere of Nyhavn better.
 


When I asked my friend who moved from Wageningen University to Copenhagen of what is typical of Danish lunch, she suggested the smørrebrød, or the "open sandwich".



The bread was made out of rye, and since I'm not a really big fan of breads, this texture was new to me. It's delicious, but it's really filling.

We continued walking for a few hours around the city centre (yes, it's a really big city centre). There are lots of attractions that I wanted to see like Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not and of course Tivoli, but it seems that none of my friends are interested in such attractions. Quite a pity, but the trip was fun nevertheless :)

Copenhagen City Hall



Stock Exchange


Frederiks Church




Copenhagen Opera House

Geflon Fountain








And the second time I went to Copenhagen, just around 6 PM, there was a strong storm. From this photo you can't really tell how strong the wind was, but for a moment I thought that flag pole would break at any time (well, it didn't break in the end).



Copenhagen is a great weekend-getaway city from Lund. I can't believe I can cross countries easily like this haha. Indonesia is made up of islands, so travelling to another country is not possible without airplanes or boats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)