Monday, August 15, 2011

Jerky

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's called "jerky".

From wiki:

Jerky is meat that has been cut into strips, trimmed of fat, marinated in a seasoned sweet rub or liquid, and dried or smoked with low heat (usually under 70 °C/160 °F) or is occasionally just salted and sun-dried. The result is a sweet (occasionally semisweet or savory) snack which can be eaten immediately, or which can be stored for months without refrigeration.
The word "jerky" comes from the Quechua term charqui, which means to burn (meat).[1][2] Jerked meat was one of the first human-made products[citation needed] and was a crucially important food preservation technique for survival.
So yes, we also have the Indonesian version of beef jerky called dendeng. Some people like me would also describe bakwa as pork jerky.

I went to Alaska for my graduation trip, and I found more interesting jerky meats:

Venison meat

Caribou meat

Smelled and tasted fishy. They're not bad but they're not my favorite.



Aside from the salmon jerky, I think most "exotic meat" jerky is basically a mixture of meat, primarily pork. So technically I was eating just a tiny portion of venison or caribou meat within that strip of meat.

I also found alligator jerky down in New Orleans. But again, they're not 100% alligator meat.

I was a big fan of jerky at one point of time. Its sodium level is sinfully high but overall jerky has lower calories than other types of snacks like potato chips. It's also generally high in protein content.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)