Sunday, March 3, 2013

France - Centilitre

We arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris at around 2 pm, but it took us so long to figure out which bus, which train and which ticket we needed, and checking in took forever at the receptionist. We didn't have lunch, so the moment we put all our luggages into our respective rooms we just headed to a restaurant across our housing.

Yeah, it's France, but we had no choice but to eat kebab because we were really, really hungry and we need something that is really filling. 



This big meal for 6.50 euros. The price of food here is not as bad as I thought it would be.

It also comes with a drink, so I tried this pomme cassis framboise drink. I learned that pomme = apple, cassis = black currant and framboise = raspberry from looking at both the French version and the DUTCH version the ingredients list. Yes, I think 4 months in Wageningen makes me somewhat rather good at reading ingredients list in Dutch!



But what's more interesting to me is the fact that they use centilitre (cl) as a measurement of drinks.


Of all places that I've been to, either you use mililitre (ml) or cubic centimetre (cc), or fluid ounces (fl oz).

I guess this is where my primary school mathematics (we learned unit conversions for volume, weight and other basic measurements back then) came handy. Really, no one uses centilitre in any calculations after you started studying physics in high school; either use the SI Units (Le Système international d'unités - SI Units is actually derived from French language!! I didn't realize that until I Googled "what does SI Units stand for") or mililitres. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)