Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ponzu Pasta

I tried making spaghetti with soy sauce as the base flavor, and it failed miserably. I thought pasta was never to be prepared with soy sauce, but I was so totally wrong. So the problem was that I used whole grain thin spaghetti. I always thought whole grain pasta has pretty much acceptable texture with increased health benefits, but no. No, the texture was completely different than durum semolina (or the normal) pasta.

Even though I still have the whole wheat thin spaghetti, I decided to buy a normal pasta. It's the best decision ever.

Gli spaghetti con calamari alla ponzu (?)

Or we can call it spaghetti with squids cooked in ponzu sauce. 

So this pasta recipe creates a slightly tangy dish from the yuzu citrus flavor from ponzu sauce. The squid, black olives, capers and tomatoes add different textures to the dish as well, so I think they form good combination. Surprisingly, the flavors from black olives, capers and ponzu kinda complement each other as well.

Recipe:
- 1 serving boiled spaghetti (I don't know how many grams because I always use intuition)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 C cut squids
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2+3 Tbsp ponzu sauce
- 200 mL white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- 1T grated Parmesan cheese
- black olives (as desired)
- capers (as desired)

Steps:
1) Heat 1/4 Tbsp butter in a pan on medium heat.
2) Sautee sliced garlic for about 1 minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
3) Add squids, black pepper and 2 Tbsp ponzu sauce into the pan and cook until they are cooked (i.e. no longer transparent).
4) Add white wine and let it evaporate.
5) Increase the heat to high and add the rest of the butter. When the butter melts, add cooked spaghetti and mix well with the ingredients.
6) Add the rest of ponzu sauce and grated Parmesan cheese and mix well. Cook for another 30 seconds (not too long so the pasta won't get too dry) and remove from heat.
7) Serve with black olives and capers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but please comment responsibly :)